Required Information For A Trailer Reservation

Reservations can be made by calling us at 951-514-6980 or through our online chat.  The following information will be required:

  • First and Last Name
  • Company Name (if any)
  • Phone Number
  • Email Address
  • Current Physical Address
  • Trailer Number or Size & Type
  • Pickup Date & Time
  • Length of Rental
  • Valid CA License or Proof of California Residency

If you do not have a California driver license or proof of California residency, you will be required to provide either a certificate of insurance naming Big Trailer Rentals, LLC as an additional insured or pay a $1,000 deposit. 

Once we have this information, we will email a DocuSign Contract to e-sign along with a payment link.  All reservations must be signed and paid for within 24 hours of making the reservation or it will be cancelled.  Reservations are not guaranteed until signed and paid in full.


Credit Card Payment:

We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express.  Big Trailer Rentals is authorized by the U.S. federal government to accept government travel charge cards (GTCC) aka government credit cards.  The name on your credit or debit card must match the name on your driver license. 

Cash Payment:

If you are paying with cash, we do require a $200 cash deposit on short-term rentals.  For longer rentals, a credit card will be required. 

Long-Term Rentals:

For rentals of 30 days or more, a deposit may be required until the trailer is returned.  Large corporations are generally exempt from paying a deposit.


Big Trailer Rentals reserves the right to charge any amount of deposit on cash or credit card payments in the event that we feel there is any type of risk, suspicion, or pattern of delinquency or abuse of trailers from previous rentals.

Vehicle Requirements

Truck Size

A 3/4 ton truck or bigger is recommended for most trailers.  If you are unsure if your truck is capable of towing a trailer, look up the manufacture’s specifications for your vehicles towing capacity.  If you don’t have an adequate truck to tow a trailer, Enterprise Truck Rentals offers new rental pickup trucks at a very reasonable price.  Enterprise trucks are equipped with the proper tow package and 7-pin light plug connection.  Most rental trucks from other companies are not capable of towing trailers or the company may prohibit anyone from towing a trailer.

    Tow Package

    A class IV hitch is recommended or  a tow package strong enough to handle the total weight or Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW).  Tongue weight is generally 10% to 15% of the trailer + load.  A ball that is mounted directly to the rear bumper of a vehicle is unsafe and should not be used tow a trailer.

      Ball Size

      All of our trailers use a 2 5/16″ Ball – We have rentals (ball & mount) with a gross tongue weight rating of 15,000 lb. available for a $10 one-time fee, if needed.

        Light Plug

        A 7 Pin Round Light Plug Recepter.  This is commonly known as a 7 Pin RV Plug.  It will have 6 outside pins and 1 center pin.  If you only have a 4 pin plug, we do not rent out the adapter because you will lose trailer brakes.

          Brake Controller

          Every towing vehicle must have a brake controller.  Without a brake controller, you will not have trailer brakes which is unsafe.  If your vehicle does not have a brake controller, you can rent a wireless bluetooth brake controller from us. 

          Watch this video to see how easy it is to use the CURT Echo Mobile Brake Controller.

          For more information about brake controllers, we have provided a complete guide: How to Use a Trailer Brake Controller

          Driver Requirements


          All rentals require the Renter to have a valid  driver license issued by the state where they are receiving the trailer.  Additional conditions may apply.  Please read “Required Information for a Trailer Reservation.”  We do NOT accept identification cards in place of a driver license.  If you have an out-of-state driver license, you will be required to pay a $2,000 deposit in addition to your rental fees or show proof of rental insurance coverage for the trailer.  

          Special License

          If you are renting a trailer with a GVWR of 10,000 or more, such as a gooseneck trailer, you will be required to show proof of a valid class A CDL license.

          Age Requirement

          All renters or drivers must be at least 18 years of age.

          Do I Need Insurance?

          Proof of insurance is not required.  A damage waiver is included with your rental.

          What is a damage waiver?
          You pay a 10 percent fee which is added to the rental.  In the event of incident that causes damage to the trailer, you or your insurance are only responsible to pay the first $1,000 dollars.

          Can I decline the damage waiver?
          Yes, but only if you provide us with a certificate of insurance (COI) from your insurance company naming our company and our VIN as an additional insured.

          Will my insurance cover a trailer rental?
          The only way to know if your insurance will cover trailer rentals is by contacting your insurance company and asking them.  However, a COI would still be required.

          Trailer Delivery

          Delivery Service Locations

          We offer delivery or pickup of the empty trailer to any location in the United States.


          Local delivery within California is $3.50 per mile while our driver is pulling the trailer.  There is a $200 minimum per trip. For national delivery, please contact our office to request a quote.

          Identity (Corporations Exempt)

          You will need to email us a copy of your driver license.  We do NOT accept identification cards in place of a license.  If you have an out-of-state license, we will need an additional statement showing your current address (examples: insurance card, a government issued billing statement, etc.)

          Receiving A Delivered Trailer

          Someone must be present with a valid driver license to show our driver when the trailer is delivered.  If the person receiving the trailer is not the same as the name on the contract, the driver will need a picture of the recipients driver license.  The person receiving the trailer must complete the inspection form and acknowledge receipt of the trailer.

          Returning A Trailer

          If our driver will be picking up the the trailer at the completion of your rental, we recommend that someone be present to verify the condition of the trailer.  In the event that someone is not present when the trailer is picked up, a representative of Big Trailer Rentals may contact you in the event there are any damages.

          Travel Restrictions

          Trailers can be taken out of state but they must be returned to our location in Winchester, CA.  Trailers must stay within the United States.  We do NOT allow trailers to be taken to Mexico or Canada. 


          All cancellations must be done at least 72 hours prior to the start of your reservation for a full 100% refund and cancellation of the rental contract.

          Extended Rentals

          If you need to extend your rental period, please let us know at least 24 hours in advance.  Full payment is required at the time of extension of the rental period.  All late payments will be subject to a 35% late fee. 

          What Size Trailer Do I Need For My Move?

          One Bedroom
          On average, a one bedroom home will require a moving trailer that is 16 ft by 8.5 ft wide.

           Two Bedrooms
          On average, a two bedroom home will require a moving trailer that is 16 – 20 ft by 8.5 ft wide. 

          Three Bedrooms
          On average, a three bedroom home will require a moving trailer that is 20 – 24 ft by 8.5 ft wide. 

          Four Bedrooms
          On average, a four bedroom home will require a moving trailer that is 24 – 28 ft by 8.5 ft wide.  

           Five Bedrooms
          On average, a five bedroom home will require a moving trailer that is 28 ft by 8.5 ft wide.

          How Many Cubic Feet Does An Enclosed Trailer Have?

          A 16 x 8.5 ft enclosed trailer has about 981 cubic feet.

          A 20 x 8.5 ft enclosed trailer has about 1219 cubic feet.

          A 24 x 8.5 ft enclosed trailer has about 1457 cubic feet.

          A 28 x 8.5 ft enclosed trailer has about 1695 cubic feet.

          Is it better to rent a moving trailer or moving truck?

          A moving trailer has more advanges related to cost, space and many other factors than a moving truck.  A moving truck has limitations.  See our reasearch article here: Trailer Rental vs. Truck Rental

          Can I Rent Out My Trailer With Big Trailer Rentals?

          There is currently a nationwide demand for trailer rentals.  If you own a trailer and want to earn additional income renting it out, visit this page: Rent My Trailer

          Do You Have a Location in Los Angeles?

          NO.  Big Trailer Rental has only one location in California which is in Winchester.  The company name is legally registered with the California Secretary of State, Entity Number: 201716510552.  The company name and logo is registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, US Serial Number: 88006787.


          Any other company or individual in Los Angeles or other part of Californina using the name “Big Trailer Rentals” or “Big Trailer Rentals, LLC” on their website, marketing materials, emails, phone messages, texts, credit card receipts, etc is a scam or is misrepresenting their identity.  If you have encountered a company using the name Big Trailer Rentals through any means, please report this information to us immediately so that we can forward it to our legal team.  If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 951-514-6980.

          To make a reservation, call us at 951-514-6980